HP MediaSmart Server LX195

Anything not related to the IdeaPad S Series

HP MediaSmart Server LX195

Postby SystemJinx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:27 pm

I'm buying one of these tonight. It's my first experience with Windows Home Server. I've heard good things about it. This machine is a headless server, so all administration will be done via network. The atom processor is really attractive. It will be powerful for streaming and yet low power consumption.

The only downfall is only one internal hard disk. I will replace the 640GB drive with a nice 1.5-2TB drive and upgrade the RAM from 1GB to 2GB. (I can never leave anything stock.) There are also 4 USB 2.0 ports for expandability if needed.

The price was only $240 after discounts. 8-) Much cheaper than my old $1000 Infrant ReadyNAS NV without drives a few years ago. (That NAS died recently)

Anyways, I'm really excited (NEW TECHNOLOGY!) and will post my thoughts in a day or two.

Operating system
Microsoft Windows Home Server

Processor
Intel 1.6 GHz Atom Processor 230

Memory
1GB DDR2 DRAM

Included drive capacity
LX195 (1 X 640 GB) SATA 7200 RPM

Drive bays
1 drive

Ports
(4) USB 2.0 ports

Expandability
Limited only by drive sizes - Assuming 1 TB drives, total capacity (internal and external) = 5 TB

Dimensions
4" x 8" x 8"

Power consumption - 1 Drive sleep
3.5 W

Power consumption - 1 Drive active
28 W

Noise level
Whisper Quiet (25 degrees C < 25 dba at one meter)

Help your family get control of your digital life with our affordable, easy-to-use MediaSmart Server LX195. It lets you automatically back up and protect digital photos, as well as centralize digital media and content so it's easy to share. And you'll enjoy your media whether you're at home or away.
Automatic backup

* Automatically manage daily backup, virus protection, media collection, and power management, all behind the scenes
* Automatically back up multiple computers, whether running Windows (via Microsoft Windows Home Server Backup) or Mac (via Apple Time Machine)1
* Store up to 168,000 photos, 147,000 songs or 405 hours of video2
* Get additional protection by backing up your server to an on-line back-up service like Amazon S33

Designed for digital media

* Access your media4 anywhere with an Internet-connected computer
* Stream music and photos to any computer, while you're at home or away
* Stream to your stereos and TVs through a gaming console like the Xbox 360 or PlayStation35
* Publish photos to photo-sharing and social networking Web sites—Snapfish, Flickr, Picasa, and even Facebook6—via any Internet-connected computer, or share directly from your server
* Share music libraries for play throughout your home

Easy setup, scheduling, and support

* Set up fast: just plug it in, connect it to your wireless router (sold separately), and load the software on your PCs and Macs1
* Schedule the server to copy and centralize Windows PC media files and libraries (including iTunes and playlists)
* Expand your capacity by adding external hard drives7 via four USB ports on the back
* Warranty and support: one-year limited; get help toll-free, 24 x 7, or via e-mail in as little time as an hour

http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/store_access.do?product_code=FL702AA%23ABA&template_type=product_detail&aoid=35252
Ruby Red Lenovo IdeaPad S10
Upgrades: 2GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Color and Model: Red S10
OS(s) installed: XP Home [SP3]

Advertisement

Re: HP MediaSmart Server LX195

Postby SystemJinx » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:36 pm

It's a very small machine as well. Here's the interior. It has just enough room for one hard drive, a fan and a mini motherboard. (It's so cool!)

Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Postby mister2 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:15 am

I've heard good things about Microsoft Windows Home Server. I would of jumped on a WHS computer a while back but I already have a server system currently running. Enjoy your new server, I get the feeling you're gonna have lots of fun with it!
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Postby SystemJinx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:18 am

Final verdict, I like it!

It was easy to setup using my Lenovo S10, though I did have to enable 1024x768 mode to see the entire Windows Home Server Interface during setup. After that I switched it back to 1024x600. Once it was configured, I backed up two PCs and configured my Mac Mini's Time Machine to use the LX195. This was a little tricky. I had to reboot the server once to get 190GB reserved on the drive for the mini, and had to unblock an HP proxy that couldn't get through the OSX firewall by default. Once that was fixed, it backed up with no problems.

I still want to replace the stock drive. 640GB sounds like a lot, but it will be pretty full by the time I'm done loading all my movies and music for streaming.
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Postby SystemJinx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 am

BTW, I did some research on the Z230 processor. It's identical in specs to our own N270, but has 64-bit capabilites. :cool:
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Postby LonnieU » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:56 pm

I think you will like it a lot.

I have been running an HP EX-470 for over a year now and have not been disappointed in the unit or WHS. I upgraded the original CPU and installed 2GB ram from the start. Have 2.5TB of storage right now.

After SP1 for WHS came out, the machine runs backups and media streaming pretty good.

I back up 3 desktops and 2 laptops to it. I have already had the "privilege" doing full restores from dead hard drives on one desktop and one laptop. It brought them fully back from the grave. One thing you should test if you are going to use this as your primary backup machine is make sure to test the WHS Restore CD. It does not include information from your backup as it pertains to network drivers and such. It does give you an opportunity to supply them via Floppy or USB drive similar to loading extra drivers when installing Windows XP. So you want to make sure you have these available and/or test the Restore disk to make sure it can reach the WHS machine on a boot from it. It will pause and ask before actually doing a restore and writing to you target machine. It does have most of the generic network drivers on the disk. But I had on older ASUS AMD MB that took me awhile to find drivers for.... The Restore disk also changes from time to time and the "Software" folder directs you to the MSoft link to get the latest image.

Lonnie
Black S10 - 11/5/2008
Upgrades: 2 GB Corsair RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio Black HD, and Internal Bluetooth made possible by
hellowifi & the "Team" at S10Lenovo.com.
LonnieU
Expert

Postby SystemJinx » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:23 pm

Great advice Lonnie. I will test this out on my Nvidia 680i mobo. It's a little picky when it comes to drivers.
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Postby MCA » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:32 am

Currently running a ex-470 with the following specs:

1. Upgraded to 2GB ram
2. Original AMD CPU
3. 4x 1.5TB Drives.

I can describe Windows Home Servers with one word - Unmatched.

Quite possibly the best system I've purchased in the last 10 years.

Restore function is the best, and it works perfectly with the S10. I try a new OS, and after I'm finished, I can go back to my original OS in about 30 minutes.
MCA
Site Admin

Color and Model: Black S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7 Ultimate

Postby SystemJinx » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:54 pm

Already upgraded the memory from 1GB to 2GB. Can't say I noticed a speed improvement, but more is always better IMO.

Next up is a HD upgrade. I'm keeping an eye on the new Seagate Green Power drives. They run at 5900RPM and are low power so they stay cooler. I haven't decided between a 1.5TB or 2TB drive yet. Sure I could have bought a more expandable server, but I absolutely love the size of this little guy.

I activated a free 6 month trial of McAfee Antivirus. Not sure what to replace it with when it expires. I don't think the free version of AVG will run on Windows Home Server. Anyone have any suggestions?
Internal Bluetooth!
SystemJinx

Postby LonnieU » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:34 pm

To give you some idea of the temperature differences on the WD hard drives, I have the original Seagate 500GB System drive in the bottom of my server followed by a WD 1TB "Black", and on top of that is a WD 1TB "Green". The picture below is from one of hundreds of different "add-on" utilities that have been designed for WHS. This particular one is called "WHSDiskManagement" by Tentacle Software. Anyway, you would expect heat to rise up through the server rack. Notice that the WD Green runs cooler and it's on the top.

Disks.JPG

I will offer my recent "bad" experience on drives as it applies in the time frame of last year when I purchased this system. I bought three 750GB Samsung "SpinPoints" on a very good sale from Newegg. I installed them and found out that they were not always being detected on a re-boot or power up of the server. When I did some research on the net, I found out many people had the same issue with this HP model server and on other various MB's. I also tried them in a new Gigabyte Intel MB and got the same result. I was also building a home security camera system which used a Gigabyte AMD MB and it had no issues with the Samsungs. It stays on 24/7 anyway. So I kept them. I think Samsung finally issued a FW fix for them.

I did a lot of searching and testing on different antivirus packages. McAfee came as a trial with one of the upgrades from HP. I had "funny" things go on with it. After many hours of "messing" around with some of the free and trial packages, I finally purchased "AVAST for WHS". It doesn't slow the system down very much, has a good interface, and mainly sits in the background and stays, "quiet". Yes, it does pick up and spits the baddies in a holding chest as I get alerts from "junk" one of my sons is constantly putting on the server for storage. A feature that it has (but I don't use) is that you can get a pretty good deal when you buy it and "home” licenses. These are installed on your home computers and the WHS server install manages the updates for all of them.

Two of the main WHS sites for much info is http://www.mediasmartserver.net/ and http://www.wegotserved.com/

Lonnie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Black S10 - 11/5/2008
Upgrades: 2 GB Corsair RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio Black HD, and Internal Bluetooth made possible by
hellowifi & the "Team" at S10Lenovo.com.
LonnieU
Expert

Next

Return to Off Topic