OKR factory defaults preserved when formatting partitions?

Discussion specifically on the IdeaPad S12

Moderator: Moderators

Forum rules
Please discuss topics related specifically for the IdeaPad S12.

OKR factory defaults preserved when formatting partitions?

Postby pauluap » Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:33 am

I'm a new owner of an Ideapad S12--as well as new to this board, so I apologize if I didn't search thoroughly enough, but I couldn't find explicit answers to what I'm wondering.

I understand that OneKey Recovery will keep working as long as the HDD partition sizes are left unchanged. But will OKR also keep working if I format and/or change the file system, but leave the partitions and partition sizes unchanged? I specifically want to maintain the Restore to Factory Default possibility when pressing the OKR key when shut down.

Here is the current layout of the HDD:
  • Primary partition (C:, FAT32)
  • Extended partition (logical drive D:, NTFS)
  • Recovery partition (inaccessible from Windows, NTFS)

I am considering the following actions:
  • converting C: from FAT32 to NTFS using the command line within Windows
  • doing a clean install of Windows, formatting C: in NTFS, leaving D: alone
  • doing a clean install of Windows, try to convert D: from an extended partition into a primary partition

I've read about people doing the first action with no problems, but does OKR still work? I also have never worked with extended partitions, so I don't even know if the second and third actions are possible, let alone whether they preserve OKR.

I was quite taken aback that the HDD was partitioned so archaically, with FAT32 and extended partitions. I hope someone can tell me how far I can go with formatting without losing the ability to restore my HDD to factory defaults!
pauluap
New User

Color and Model: Black S12 Intel
OS(s) installed: XP Home SP3 OEM

Advertisement

Re: OKR factory defaults preserved when formatting partitions?

Postby wcoast » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:51 pm

Have you gone to the lenovo forums?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-s ... ad_Netbook

kalvinklein has written extensively on this subject there.
wcoast
Novice

Color and Model: Black S10 2GB Bluetooth module
OS(s) installed: XP Home

Postby mister2 » Thu Oct 29, 2009 1:22 am

wcoast wrote:Have you gone to the lenovo forums?

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/IdeaPad-S-s ... ad_Netbook

kalvinklein has written extensively on this subject there.

Do you have the exact link? I'm interested in this as well. I went through a few of his posts and didn't find any.

AFAIK, there is no way to make a 'full' recovery disc. Some one on this forum have said that it can be purchased from Lenovo for $45. However, I've never heard of one circulating or anyone owning a copy.

The OKR has been a hot subject since day one. It seemed that no one was able to figure out how the OKR worked or if it was possible to make it work once it's lost. Other than of course to send it back to Lenovo. A solution came up from a member here but didn't receive many feedbacks. I'm gonna try this method myself now and I'll report back.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1116&start=20
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Postby pauluap » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:53 am

Thanks guys. I have checked out the Lenovo forums and posed the same question there. Maybe I can simplify my question.

Basically, I will clean-install Windows XP, starting with booting from the original setup CD. During the "DOS" portion of setup, I will choose to install to the C: partition that's already there. I am less certain about the next step.

After selecting the target partition, I can choose to leave the file system unchanged, convert it to NTFS, or (re)format it using FAT32 or NTFS. I think a proper clean install eliminates "unchanged" from the options. This means a clean install will always require reformatting the current C: partition into either the current (FAT32) or a new (NTFS) file system.

So the big question is: will this formatting action disable the OKR restore to factory defaults option?

And also, will the OKR restore to factory defaults action revert (reformat) C: to the original FAT32 file system, or does it require a FAT32 file system to already be present before it can place back the factory default disk installation? I think this question is also whether OKR puts back a clone of C:, or is it a simple copy-and-overwrite action? Am I also right in assuming that the D: partition is in no case ever touched by OKR backups and restores? Sorry for all the questions, but I'm having trouble seeing through Lenovo's OKR system!
pauluap
New User

Color and Model: Black S12 Intel
OS(s) installed: XP Home SP3 OEM

Return to IdeaPad S12 Discussion