A selectable dark theme?

Have some suggestions, ideas or feedback for the forum? Post here!

A selectable dark theme?

Postby jaqiefox » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:57 am

I know it's a lot to ask, as I am new here AND just one person...

but would it be at all possible to have a black (or dark grey) background theme? Why I ask is due to a health issue, as odd as it may sound.

I have porphyria, an unusual genetic condition. It's really odd, some of the side effects of it, one of which is photosensitivity - no, not sensitivity to movement or flashes of light, sensitivity to light, the brighter and larger the worse it is. I actually have to adjust my windows (and linux) themes to have dark backgrounds and turn the brightness and contrast down on my monitor as well. Basically bright light even from the white background of a monitor (even when turned down) hurts, sometimes badly.

I know most forum software (including PHPBB) has themes and ways to install them, as well as ways to allow the user to select from multiple themes, what I am asking is if there is any way a black or dark background one can be installed so that I can use it and browse the forums here without my eyes hurting?

This is one of the reasons I stayed with hardforum.com so long despite the horrid immaturity of most of the posters - I could actually browse there without hurting.

Thanks a ton for reading this and sorry to be so much trouble >.<
~Jaqie Fox
revision 3 - check out their systm and tekzilla shows!
I have blocked all access to private messaging me due to threats and harassment sourced from this board
jaqiefox
Master

Advertisement

Re: A selectable dark theme?

Postby six » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:07 am

For Ubuntu with compiz, there is a plugin to apply a negative color filter (I believe it's normally mapped to Super+n and Super+m) - Mac OS X has a similar utility (Nocturne) and I'm sure someone's come up with something for Windows.

For websites, you could use a bookmarklet:

http://lifehacker.com/software/lifehack ... 259456.php
six
Experienced

Postby jaqiefox » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:24 am

Wow. that's almost usable, thank you :)
problem with that is a lot of text stays black, and some buttons are completely blacked out.

I use XP64, XP, ubuntu, and FreeBSD so it's very frustrating to deal with this problem across multiple incompatible OSes let alone on net sites.

As for windows, no. the only method is to alter the windows theme - nothing can be with a complete black background as a lot of text (all over not just in windows) is hardcoded to black.
revision 3 - check out their systm and tekzilla shows!
I have blocked all access to private messaging me due to threats and harassment sourced from this board
jaqiefox
Master

Postby mister2 » Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:13 pm

I will most definitely look into it.
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Return to Feedback, Announcements and Rules