Links open in new tab?

Have some suggestions, ideas or feedback for the forum? Post here!

Links open in new tab?

Postby WindeeS10 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:16 pm

Any chance of making links open in a new tab or window, rather than in the same tab? I'll admit it. When I go off following a link, I sometimes get lost and never find my way back. :lol: Or I close the tab.
8-19-08 9:30 AM ordered. 10-2 received.
White - added 2 GB RAM & Bluetooth - Loving it!
WindeeS10
Experienced

Advertisement

Re: Links open in new tab?

Postby mister2 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:57 pm

How about the right click? ;)
j/k

Awesome suggestion. Consider it done.
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Postby jehan60188 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 11:24 am

middle click, or ctrl + click will accomplish the same thing...
jehan60188
Experienced

Postby daring » Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:56 pm

I was going to do this on my web site also, but after doing some research in "netiquette" it seems the common response is to the let the user (or user's browser) decide whether links should open in a new page or not. That sort of makes sense, as you don't want to force any particular browsing style on your users as I imagine this feature could get abused rather quickly.

Personally though, I think for most internal site links this should be the case, but all external links could pop open a new tab/window and it shouldn't tick off too many people. When reading articles and discussion threads, I'm just in the habit of "Ctrl-Shift" clicking to open links in a new background tab regardless.
daring
Novice

Postby jehan60188 » Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 pm

daring wrote:I was going to do this on my web site also, but after doing some research in "netiquette" it seems the common response is to the let the user (or user's browser) decide whether links should open in a new page or not. That sort of makes sense, as you don't want to force any particular browsing style on your users as I imagine this feature could get abused rather quickly.

Personally though, I think for most internal site links this should be the case, but all external links could pop open a new tab/window and it shouldn't tick off too many people. When reading articles and discussion threads, I'm just in the habit of "Ctrl-Shift" clicking to open links in a new background tab regardless.

exactly! similar for me, it's just habit to middle click on links!
jehan60188
Experienced

Return to Feedback, Announcements and Rules