temp & fan control

All versions of Mac OS X

Moderator: SilverZero

Forum rules
The S netbook is NOT an Apple product and was never intended to run Mac OSX. Fortunately, enthusiasts have found ways to make OSX run on our netbook. However, the process may not be smooth for some. Make sure you have patience and time to get it to run. Most importantly, motivation to read and learn. This forum contains enough information to get OSX running. Most problems you may encounter can be solved just by reading through the forums or searching. So please take the time and read through the forums!

Re: temp & fan control

Postby spoonani » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:52 pm

Hagar wrote:Just drop the AppleThermal plugin into the 10.5.7 kext iirc.. it works here, anyhow

works great, thanks!
spoonani
Experienced

Color and Model: Black S10 - OSX in Process

Advertisement

Postby PiddlyD » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:31 pm

So, I don't understand how you open up KEXT files to edit the registry information inside them. Is there somewhere that explains how to do this? These threads all seem to assume that if you've gotten this far, you know how to do these things. I've obviously skipped a step somewhere in the learning process, and have put the cart before the horse.

Likewise, I keep getting the impression that a KEXT is actually a folder, and can contain more KEXTs inside it. In this case, it seems like the AppleACPIPlatform.kext has a file called AppleACPIThermal.kext inside it. I don't understand how I would browse inside the AppleACPIPlatform.kext to find the ACPIThermal.kext, but it seems that this file is missing on my S10, in any case.

I'm running 10.5.7. I've copied over the AppleACPIPlatform.kext file provided in this document, and if I drag it to Kext Helper B7 and highlight it, "Easy Install" remains grayed out.

I'm puzzled. If I heat the Lenovo up, then reboot, the fan works... although, not at full speed.

I used

http://www.thekitch.com/mac/mac-osx-on- ... -revisited

to install and configure. Like other users here, I don't like the potential of Bricking my S10. If I can't get this figured out, it is probably a deal breaker and I'm either back to XP or on to Win 7. I'd like to stick with OS X - but having the fans working right seems critical.
PiddlyD
Beginner

Color and Model: Black S10
OS(s) installed: OS X Win 7 Win XP

Postby PiddlyD » Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:23 am

e: temp & fan control
by joeblough » Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:16 pm

you know, in retrospect i should have told people the way to "try it before you buy it"...

1. download the kext to some random place, but don't put it into the Plugin directory
2. sudo chmod -R 755 AppleACPIThermal.kext
3. sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleACPIThermal.kext
4. sudo kextload -d /System/Library/Extensions/AppleACPIPlatform.kext AppleACPIThermal.kext

at this point kextload should tell you that it successfully loaded the extension. the prefix of the -d directory above (/System/Library/Extensions) may need to be changed to point to whatever directory AppleACPIPlatform.kext is in. in my case, its not actually in /S/L/E because i moved it out of the way to make sure the one from boot-132 really loads. you can have your copy of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in any directory you want, just as long as you give the full path to AppleACPIPlatform.kext as the -d argument.

if your system gets hosed up, then you can just reboot and everything should be fine. if your system seems to work right, then you can take the more permanent step of copying this kext into the Plugins directory of AppleACPIPlatform.kext.

I've dropped both AppleACPIPlatform.kext and AppleACPIThermal.kext into the room of my drive, MacintoshHD.

From terminal, I execute "sudo kextload -d AppleACPIPlatform.kext AppleACPITHermal.kext"

And it returns "kextload: cannot resolve dependencies for kernal extensions AppleACPIThermal.kext error loading extension AppleACPITHermal.kext"

I am on 10.5.7
PiddlyD
Beginner

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:13 am

So, I basically rebuilt the machine again, paying attention as I went along to what was going on with the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext. Figured out all kinds of things along the way, too.

I swear I had been right clicking on the kext and selecting "show package contents" and it wasn't working, but maybe I was smoking crack. Once I did this, I could see what everyone was talking about (I *knew* that the kext must be a container package that had a directory structure inside of it, and had read somewhere about how some Apple Apps look like a single icon but contain a folder structure beneath it).

I tried going up to 10.5.8, which broke the audio, and didn't fix the fan - which is when I decided to rebuild.

After the rebuild, I got audio working, did the upgrade to 10.5.7 and then grabbed the AppleAPCIThermal.kext from the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext linked to in this forum. I copied it into the PlugIns folder in S/L/E/AppleAPCIPlatform.kext on my machine. Changed the permissions and Owner info per the info here, and then loaded it using kextload also per the instructions here. The message returned was "AppleACPIThermal.kext loaded successfully". I then ran "yes > /dev/null &" and confirmed the fan spun up, ran it again and it spun up again. "killall yes" kills both processes and the fan stops.

Confirmed in System Profiler\Software\Extensions that AppleACPIThermal 1.0.5 is loaded. Even took a screenshot.

On a reboot, AppleACPIThermal is not loaded. If I change to /S/L/E/AppleAPCIPlatform.kext/Contents/PlugIns and reload it with kextload it will load and the fans will start up.

I feel like I am just a step short on this. Can anyone point me in the right direction? All I did was drag the AppleAPCIPlatform.kext into the PlugIns directory of AppleACPIPlatform.kext in S/L/E. I didn't use Kext Helper B7 or Plist Editor or Netbook Maker or anything else to update or clear caches or anything. Could that be where I am going wrong?

Loading it by hand is better than nothing, I guess, but it would sure be nice to be able to get it to load automatically at boot.
PiddlyD
Beginner

Postby PiddlyD » Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:30 pm

I booted into Safe Mode, ran NetbookInstaller and selected "Install Lenovo S10 Extensions, unhid "Hide NetbookInstaller files" selected "Generate a system specific dsdt.aml file" and left Enable Remote CD checked. Interestingly enough, when I booted into Safe Mode, the AppleAPCIThermal.kext loaded, so possibly just rebooting in safe mode was all that was needed. Anyhow, after I did that and rebooted, the audio was dead.

Copied VoodooHDA back into the Extra/LenvoS10Ext folder, re-ran UpdateExtra from the Extra folder, and rebooted.

AppleAPCIThermal.kext is loading and fans are working and audio is installed and working too. I think I'll leave it alone, now. :)
PiddlyD
Beginner

Postby SilverZero » Sat Aug 22, 2009 1:30 pm

PiddlyD wrote:I booted into Safe Mode, ran NetbookInstaller and selected "Install Lenovo S10 Extensions, unhid "Hide NetbookInstaller files" selected "Generate a system specific dsdt.aml file" and left Enable Remote CD checked. Interestingly enough, when I booted into Safe Mode, the AppleAPCIThermal.kext loaded, so possibly just rebooting in safe mode was all that was needed. Anyhow, after I did that and rebooted, the audio was dead.

Copied VoodooHDA back into the Extra/LenvoS10Ext folder, re-ran UpdateExtra from the Extra folder, and rebooted.

AppleAPCIThermal.kext is loading and fans are working and audio is installed and working too. I think I'll leave it alone, now. :)

Meklort's been doing a lot of work behind the scenes for the S10. Gotta check into that. :)
SilverZero

Color and Model: Sold
OS(s) installed: All of them

Postby PiddlyD » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:48 am

I see that he just released a new version of NetbookMaker over on The Kitch's S10 blog forum. I certainly wouldn't be as far along as I am without the utilities he has made. I had tried before several times and failed to build a Hackintosh.

It seems what the S10 hackintosh community really needs now is a control panel or app that would allow you to set fan thresholds more intelligently than they're set by default. Up to 50c I don't think the fan starts at all. At 50c is starts, but on low. I saw that there was discussion on that in this thread earlier, but I'd really feel more comfortable if I could have the fan kick on at 35 or 40c and then crank up to full power at 50c. So, I guess not just the thresholds, but the fan RPMs, too. On my "wish list" that would be ahead of getting the wired Ethernet to work.
PiddlyD
Beginner

Postby lbraasch » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:10 pm

I've been running off NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 RC3 for a week now. Using the newest bios, I have a completely "normal" functioning fan. Turns on when temp gets too high, turns off when temp cools down. Runs fine even on a cold boot.
lbraasch
Novice

Color and Model: white s10
OS(s) installed: osx

Postby PiddlyD » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:20 pm

lbraasch wrote:I've been running off NetbookInstaller 0.8.2 RC3 for a week now. Using the newest bios, I have a completely "normal" functioning fan. Turns on when temp gets too high, turns off when temp cools down. Runs fine even on a cold boot.

Can you link to where you got the newest BIOS? Mine seems to be working now... but I've got the same complaints other users have, it seems to hover around that 50c mark and turn on and off a lot, but mostly stays off.

I guess, before I blow everything out and rebuild it once more using the 0.8.2 RC3 netbookmaker and flash the BIOS...

Right now, if it is just sitting there, not under load, it hovers around 50c and the fan doesn't turn on... The minute I put it under any significant load, the fans kick on.

I'm used to the fans being on pretty much non-stop on the S10, even just sitting there, so I'm feeling like the fans aren't working right. It seems like it runs hotter under OS X, too... although I think the 50c is reporting false (hotter than it really is). There seems to be some conflicting info about this out there on the various forums.

I guess it couldn't hurt. Did you flash on an S10, or an S10e?
PiddlyD
Beginner

Postby pmazzarese » Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:46 pm

Your advice please.

Running an S10 (Not 10e) with 10.5.8 using Mechdrew's install guide #1. Everything is working beautifully. I never updated the BIOS.
It seems to be running a bit hot ( Not terrible) and the fan doesn't kick on.

Should I mess with it by updating the BIOS?
Should I install the AppleACPIPlatform.kext and APCIThermal.kext?
If I update the BIOS, do I need to re-run NetbookInstaller 0.8.3 RC2?

Thanks for your help.

Pete
pmazzarese
New User

OS(s) installed: XP

Previous

Return to Mac OS X