UMTS USB stick inside s10-2, possible?

CPU, Chipset, Graphics, Display, Memory, Hard Drive, Connectivity, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

UMTS USB stick inside s10-2, possible?

Postby TauTau » Mon Apr 05, 2010 5:09 pm

Hi,

my new s10-2 has no socket soldered for the 2nd mini-pci slot, so there's no way to put a card there (I assume I can't solder that socket myself there). So my idea was to get a UMTS USB stick, disassemble it and put it somewhere inside the case. I found the thread about adding a bluetooth module, is the connector where this goes a USB connector? Did anyone ever fit a external stick inside the case?
TauTau
Beginner

Color and Model: black S10-2
OS(s) installed: OSx 10.6.3

Advertisement

Re: UMTS USB stick inside s10-2, possible?

Postby TauTau » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:51 am

so, I found this blog http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/ ... one-hsdpa/ maybe I try to do the same with my s10-2. Probably the hardest part will be soldering in the PCIe slot...
TauTau
Beginner

Color and Model: black S10-2
OS(s) installed: OSx 10.6.3

Re: UMTS USB stick inside s10-2, possible?

Postby mister2 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:09 pm

TauTau wrote:I found the thread about adding a bluetooth module, is the connector where this goes a USB connector?

It is USB but the connector is not a standard connector. You'll need to buy a connector that fits in it and figure out which wire is which.
TauTau wrote:so, I found this blog http://tnkgrl.wordpress.com/2008/10/28/ ... one-hsdpa/ maybe I try to do the same with my s10-2. Probably the hardest part will be soldering in the PCIe slot...

Wow, that'd be quite a mod. Definitely something I can't do. Let us know how that works out.
mister2
Site Admin

Color and Model: White S10
OS(s) installed: Windows 7

Return to General Hardware