Netbook will not turn on.

CPU, Chipset, Graphics, Display, Memory, Hard Drive, Connectivity, etc...

Moderator: Moderators

Netbook will not turn on.

Postby kimikat730 » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:34 pm

I have a S10 netbook with XP and OS X installed. I'm not the one who did the hack for OS X, I bought it from a guy on craigslist already set up. Its been working beautifully for the past few weeks, and then last night, I shut it down from OS X, and when i tried to turn it back on today, it will not power up. No lights, no fan, nothing! The power light comes on when the AC adaptor is plugged in, but that's it. I have tried powering up with both my 3 cell and 6 cell battery, with and without AC adaptor. I tried to pull out the battery and tried pressing the power button 10-15 times and then holding it for 30 seconds. I've also pulled out the hard drive and RAM to try to reset, all to no avail.

I was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions, or had experienced anything like this. Lenovo will not repair it under warranty as I have upgraded the hard drive and ram, of course. Please help me, i love my little hackintosh, and it makes me sad to see it sitting on the desk dead.
kimikat730
New User

Color and Model: White Lenovo S10
OS(s) installed: Dual Boot XP and OS X

Advertisement

Re: Netbook will not turn on.

Postby tsc » Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:23 pm

I believe there is a cmos battery you could try to remove, on the hardware forum there is a link on where it is located in the parts diagrams.
tsc
Novice

Postby Heretic » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:42 am

kimikat730 wrote:Lenovo will not repair it under warranty as I have upgraded the hard drive and ram, of course. Please help me, i love my little hackintosh, and it makes me sad to see it sitting on the desk dead.

Are you sure of this? Most OEM's will still cover you if the hard disk and ram are changed as long as you have used parts within spec and there is no damage to the unit. This is most definently the case with Apple for example, obviously under such circumstances the non original hardware wont be covered but if it's a dead mainboard there shouldn't be an issue as long as it hasn't been caused by your modifications.

****Edit****
Yes your warranty is still valid, I just checked my S10 documentation, anything behind the access panel is deemed under warranty to be a CRU (customer replaceable unit). I would however remove "OS X" from the drive and replace with WinXP before sending it in, just in case they deem the cause to be OS X killing fan operation.

****Edit****
I linked a photo of the appropriate documentation page in reply to your post here.
http://www.s10lenovo.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=731&p=15115#p15115
Heretic
Experienced

Color and Model: Black Ideapad S10 59-017900
OS(s) installed: Windows XP + Mac OS X + Slackware

Postby kimikat730 » Fri Mar 27, 2009 10:06 pm

Of course, removing OS X from the hard drive would involve me turning on the unit, which i can't currently do. :-) I don't think i have another machine that this hard drive would fit in.

I tried pulling off the section of the case that is around the trackpad and removing what looked to be the backup battery, that didn't do anything to resolve the problem though. Anyone have any other idea how to get it back on, at least long enough to try to upgrade the BIOS and see if that helps?
kimikat730
New User

Color and Model: White Lenovo S10
OS(s) installed: Dual Boot XP and OS X

Postby Heretic » Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:43 am

Well I assumed you'd either have the original drive, another system with a SATA interface or could use a friends system to do the job, given that SATA connectors are the same for both 2.5" and 3.5" drives. Can just send it in blank and if they ask why, say you were concerned about securing personal info. Make sure you send in with the lenovo issue battery if one of your batteries is non genuine.

As for the fixing it, my guess is something on the mainboard is dead if it's completely unresposive, so I doubt any amount of playing is going to resurrect it.
Heretic
Experienced

Color and Model: Black Ideapad S10 59-017900
OS(s) installed: Windows XP + Mac OS X + Slackware

Postby kitch » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:58 am

I had similar issues once or twice and I just removed AC power and the battery for about 5-10 minutes and then put the battery and AC back on and I was able to boot just fine.
Lenovo S10 OSX 10.5.7 (for sale!)
HowTo S10\Mini9 OSX
OSX on Lenovo S10 Revisited!
13" MacBook Pro
kitch
Experienced

Postby wcoast » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:05 pm

I had my S10 die on me after 3 days, scared the heck out of me, actually I called and had it on in 2 minutes.

Disconnect battery and AC, press and hold the ON/OFF button for 5 seconds, re attach the battery or power plug press ON viola.
wcoast
Novice

Color and Model: Black S10 2GB Bluetooth module
OS(s) installed: XP Home

Postby cutewave » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:30 pm

Last week, my S10 didnt boot up when I tried to turn it on. So I removed battery and unplug Ac power, then put it back with AC power after few mins. Good luck to me, my S10 works fine.
cutewave
New User

Color and Model: Black S10
OS(s) installed: Window Xp Home

Return to General Hardware